Monkey Go Places

Monday 20 April 2015

Hong Kong (香港) - Not At All What I Thought It Is // 2015

A few years ago, friends asked me to go Hong Kong. I wasn't keen at all. I was thinking, what's there to see/do in Hong Kong? It's just a modern city, it must be boring. Plus, I've been to Macau and we had some local food, it tasted bland (not all, some were pretty good...like the famous pork chop bun). Food in Hong Kong must be quite bland too. So that was my smart-ass assumption about Hong Kong.



A few years later, I guess I grew older and wiser.

WJ say go Hong Kong. I said ok, let's go. 

We bought our flight tickets for March 2015 in June 2014. We waited 9 months to go on this trip. Like how a mother waited 9 months to give birth to a child.

The day has come. I was all prepared to experience Hong Kong. I expect to meet some rude Hongkies. I expect to not get to slowly enjoy my food, because they expect you to gobble down your food and leave and make space for their next customer.

4 hours of flying later, we landed in Hong Kong. 8 days later, I totally changed my perception about Hong Kong and the people.

Hong Kong isn't just a modern city. There's a lot more to it.

We encountered many very friendly and helpful Hongkies.

Restaurants services isn't that bad. Even when we were told to leave, the lady wasn't very rude. And it's quite fair for her to tell us to go because we have finished our food, I was just sipping my drinks, but queue to the restaurant are already building up outside.

Food wasn't bland at all. It was tasty! Not all meals are epic or life-changing, but we didn't have a single bad meal in 8 days, whether it's breakfast, lunch, tea time, dinner, supper or just street food at any other time of the day.

On a Sunday, Hong Kong turns into Indonesia (0_0).

I will definitely go back to Hong Kong again, first of all, for the food. OMG, I have cravings for some it till today. I wish I have a bowl of Mak's Noodle wanton mee in front of me now.

It's probably too much to talk about in a single post, so I'll break it up to a few posts based on areas - Kowloon, Hong Kong Island, Outlying Islands and New Territories


And here's a quick video that summarises the whole trip. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment