Monkey Go Places

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Siem Reap, Cambodia // 2014

11 - 18 August

After struggling through 1 year in a job that I hated didn't like, I knew I had to do something. It was the first time I'm feeling as such. I was depressed almost everyday at work - so I quit, to live a happier life. At the same time, I thought this would be the best time for me to take a break and go somewhere. 

I decided on Siem Reap.

Traveled solo. No, this was not a 'soul-searching-trying-to-find-myself' kinda crap. I just wanted to go on a chill and relax trip, enjoy the moment, and do whatever I want at my own pace. 


There was some party happening up on the rooftop of the building across the road from the hostel I was staying at.

I stayed at The Siem Reap Hostel. A really nice place for backpackers/budget travelers. Many other guests in the hostel traveled solo, so it was easy to make some friends.

I went for a 1-day temple visits with 2 new friends.

MonkeyTips: If you intend to only spend 1 day visiting the temples, go buy your 1-day pass a day before in the late afternoon (around 4.30pm). They will issue you your pass for the next day, but with the same pass, they will allow you to enter and wander around and watch sunset. 


Breakfast: Charcoal grilled chicken served with white rice, tomato slices, pickled vegetables, soup and iced tea. We asked our tuk-tuk driver to take us to where he would usually have his breakfast, and he brought us here. It was a good breakfast. Chicken was tasty and have some nice char.
The magnificent Angkor Wat. We didn't make it to see the sunrise, because 5am is just too early to get up from bed. Well, we saw sunset the day before... so it's ok. (Luckily my 2 new friends were not eager to wake up for sunrise too, phewww!)
Bayon Temple was so much less crowded compared to Angkor Wat, so I liked it here more.

There were some nice spots at Bayon Temple where I could just sit there for the whole day, and read a book.
MonkeyTips: When visiting the temples, wear clothing that covers your shoulders and pants/skirt that covers till below your knees. Otherwise, you will be denied entry to certain areas. Some places, they allow you to use a scarf to cover your shoulder if wearing sleeveless top, but some are more strict, scarfs will not do.

On other days, I just spend time reading by the pool, and explore other places in Siem Reap by myself.


Watched the whole process of how silk was made. From the worms mating, lay eggs, produce tiny strands of silk to how it was made into colourful silk and weaved into beautiful pieces of fabric.
MonkeyTips: Angkor Silk Farm is about 16km away from town. If you don't want to take a tuk-tuk, you can take a free shuttle from Artisans D'Angkor in town (departs at 9:30 am or 1:00pm).


A push cart stall selling shaved ice dessert and other cold drinks by the roadside outside the hospital. The manual ice shaver is as old skool as it gets.
Beautiful lotus flowers for offerings, sold outside a temple.
It was a very hot and sunny day. I just strolled along the riverside. This is Siem Reap river.
The West Baray is a reservoir located just about 4km away from the airport. This is where the locals usually go to for a swim and picnic with friends and family. 

Colourful fabrics as shades.



 Kids going for a swim on a hot hot day. Watching them having fun in the water is pleasantly entertaining.



There are tyre tubes for rent so you can go floating on the water.


West Baray is also an excellent place to watch sunset. It's amazing how the sky just changes colours.... one of the best sunset I've seen so far.


Doesn't this looks like a painting?
Such a magical sunset...this is a colourful world!



These are not alcohol. This is where tuk-tuks get their petrol refill.

No comments:

Post a Comment